DISCOVER THE NEW TRENDS – These are the eyewear trends that will govern our spring and summer, as told by the biggest runways of the world. The selection is quite vast and permissible, given how many different trends are floating around: from retro-inspired designs to urban-chic and classic ones, you’ll surely have what to choose from.
Eyewear Trends 2015: Let’s Talk Shape
1. The Classics: No new season comes without a rendition of these classic shapes. Whether aviators, cat eyes or round frames, these evergreen styles look impeccable when filtered through contemporary aesthetics. See: the Valentino maskaviators, Dior Technologic sunglasses, the Michael Kors and Fendi cat eyes or the Giorgio Armani butterfly shades. Round sunglasses were preferred at Roberto Cavalli, 3.1 Philip Lim or MBMJ.
2. Ovals: According to the runways, oval sunglasses will have a (big) moment this season. Simple, black and red pairs were on display at Burberry and Rochas, while some tricked-out versions could be seen at Dries Van Noten.
3. Oversized: This type of eyewear is still going surprisingly strong, even though it’s been around for a good few seasons now. Then again, they are perfectly in line with the retro trend that’s been sweeping in admirers. As seen at MBMJ, Bottega Veneta and Giorgio Armani.
4. Retro: Given the fact that a 60s and 70s-inspired mood is currently governing the fashion world, it is only natural that eyewear followed suit. Retro-style frames were spotted down the runway at Versace, Gucci, Roberto Cavalli and Derek Lam, to name just a few.
5. Urban: The nostalgic trend didn’t take over ALL the runways, though. At Balenciaga and Kenzo, it was the urban, sporty feel that brought the clothes and accessories to life.
Eyewear Trends 2015: Let’s Talk Style
6. Semi-Rimless: Sunglasses with prominent lower contours might be more of a micro-trend than a full-fledged one, but they surely can’t be ignored. Especially when we’re talking about a fiery red, thick-rimmed style (as seen at Miu Miu) or a rounded, dual-colored one (as seen at 3.1 Philip Lim).
7. Thick-Rimmed: Thick-rimmed glasses have an attitude about them that’s simply irresistible. Seems like the designers thought the same, since they aren’t ignoring them this season. Quite the contrary, they made strong appearances at Fendi, Giorgio Armani, Nina Ricci and Versace.
Eyewear Trends 2015: Let’s Talk Textures
8. A Remarkable Finish: Most of the Spring/Summer 2015 sunglasses are packing a punch. After all, who doesn’t want to have fun with their eyewear when the sun is shining bright? Well, the bedazzled Chanel frames, the nature-inspired Prada ones or the dotted Giorgio Armanis are here to help all of you risk-takers stand out.
Eyewear Trends 2015: Let’s Talk Colors
Ok, so the classic black and tortoiseshell finishes will always have your back, but how about pumping it up a notch with pastels and whites this summer? The runways are pushing for you to say a resounding YES!
9. Pastels: Light pink, lavender, yellow or blue are all valid options for your summery eyewear. As seen at Fendi, Viktor & Rolf, Kenzo or Dries Van Noten.
10. Whites: No other color is quite as striking when you have a little bit of a tan going on. The designers seem to have this contrast in mind as well, given the numerous white shades they showered us with. White sunglasses were spotted on the Vivienne Westwood, Fendi, Rochas, Roberto Cavalli and 3.1 Phillip Lim runways.
Photo credit: all photos via www.style.com